Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why am I tempted to smash that alarm clock in to pieces?


Here is something I read on a blog:

“When I get up in the morning, one of my first thoughts is usually along the lines of how good that alarm clock would look when smashed into a million pieces.”

Well, I can very well relate to that. Every morning “I” have a desire to go to work but my body doesn’t want to. It wants to sleep more. Then I suddenly remember one proverb which deals this issue

“Laziness casts into a deep sleep,
And an idle man will suffer hunger.” (Proverbs 19:15)

The thoughts of hunger scares me and I manage to get up and get ready to go to work. This happens quite often in my life.

Remember something Paul said in Romans?

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. – Romans 7:15

Sometimes I don’t understand why I don’t want to get up in the morning though I want to. I don’t understand why I do the very thing I don’t want to do.
What is the problem? Something wrong with me?

Well, if I am a born-again Christian and the Spirit of God living in me there shouldn’t be anything wrong with me. If there is anything wrong with me, the Spirit of God can’t live in me anyways.
So ever before the Spirit came to live in me He did the sterilization through the blood of Christ on the Cross. (It is like this- we sterilize the jar before we put the peaches in to preserve). So then, if we are fully sterilized, perfected and now the Spirit lives in us, then why do we act like Romans 7:15?

Well, let’s read on…

18 For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it…

One of the key verse here is - 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it…

It is not "I" (spirit, new creature, new me in Christ) who is redeemed, perfected, forgiven, completed doing it. But the flesh (unredeemed portion of my being) does it.

We often times forget that only our spirit has been redeemed not our mind and body. Our spirit is secured in the hands of God, our body is aging and soon will die and about our mind the Bible is encouraging to renew it with the Word of God on a continuous basis (Romans 12:2).

Another key verse is - I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.

If we put some logic here, it makes sense. If 'I' can carry out the desire to do what is good, then what is the purpose of Christ (in the person of Holy Spirit) lives in me?

Here is the answer for these questions:

25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

He can and will carry it out. We better not try to do His work! We will terribly fail. All we need to do is abide in the vine and let His life flow through us!

No comments: