What was it God breathed into Adam's nostrils? Have you ever wondered? Was it the 'air' we breath? Was it oxygen? Check this excerpt from 'In His Image' by Dr. Paul Brand:
When I heard that verse as a child, I imagined Adam lying on the ground, perfectly formed but not yet alive, with God leaning over him and performing a sort of mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Now I picture that scene differently. I assume that Adam was already biologically alive - the other animals needed no special puff of oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide to start them breathing, why should man? The breath of God now symbolizes for me a spiritual reality. I see Adam as alive, but possessing only an animal vitality. Then God breaths into him a new spirit, and infills him with His own image. Adam becomes a living soul, not just a living body. God's image is not an arrangement of skin cells or a physical shape, but rather an inbreathed spirit.We know the rest of the story, that Adam sinned and lost what was inbreathed into him and became dead spiritually (the wages of sin is death). The Life of God went absent from him. He was no more bearing the image of God.
Fast forward to the New Testament, the last Adam (Jesus) came to earth to give us what we lost in the first Adam. Acting out of His unconditional love and grace, He resolved the cause of death - sin, once and for all and made the entire world capable of receiving the Life through simple faith.
Do we realize that it is the very Life raised Jesus from the dead is what raises us from the state of spiritual death, when we simply receive Him by faith?
- "In him was life" - John 1:4
- "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it." - John 5:21
- "Whoever believes in me has crossed over from death to life." - John 5:24
- "For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." - John 6:33
- "I am the bread of life." - John 6:35
- "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you." - John 6:53
- "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." - John 8:12
- "I have come that they may have life" - John 10:10
- "I am the resurrection and the life." - John 11:25
- "I am the way and the truth and the life." - John 14:6
- "By believing in the Son of God, you may have life in his name." - John 20:31