Thursday, July 3, 2008

Freedom.

Freedom! It is a thrilling but at the same time a scary concept. Are we truly truly free? I mean not the political or cultural freedom but the individual, identity driven, spiritual based, true freedom. The freedom to be who we REALLY are.

I can very well say that I am 'comparatively' free, comparing the bondage in religious system. But I still don't think I am truly truly free. I am free within certain limits. But still those 'limits' controls me to certain extent.

One example would be, dealing with some people based on their personality. I worry if I am being myself with certain people, I might disrespect them. So I deliberately wear a mask to 'respect' them. Here, I am acting within certain limitations and I truly don't know how to get over it.

Freedom is also progressive, so I think we are continually being free. I believe, the freedom Jesus offered was the freedom without conditions. It's not, you can be free, but...

But I still struggle!

3 comments:

Joel Brueseke said...

As I was reading this my thoughts were arriving at the same place as in your last paragraph, where you said, "Freedom is also progressive..."

I know I've been freed tremendously, and yet I know that there are many areas in which I am definitely not free. In Christ we are truly free - in our spirits - but in the daily renewing of our minds, and in the process of getting to know God more and more, I think we will always be growing towards experiencing His freedom more and more.

Bino M. said...

Absolutely Joel. Now, we atleast know that we are not free in certain areas in our life. That itself is a sign of growing in Grace. While we were bound in religion, we didn't even know we were bound. That was so tragic.

Aida said...

"I worry if I am being myself with certain people"

This is a problem I still struggle with. At times, it seems that I can wear different faces depending on who I'm with. Father is freeing me in this area but I still have a long way to go.