Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Man cannot fix man.

As Bob George says, man trying to fix man is like a Chevrolet trying to fix another Chevrolet.
Man has a problem - spiritual death. He is born spiritually dead in the nature of Adam. Death is the absence of life and the only person who can restore that life is Christ Jesus.
In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
Yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.
I am the bread of life.
I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.
I have come that they may have life.
I am the resurrection and the life.
I am the way and the truth and the life.
But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Many people do not realize that their root problem is spiritual death and then we have the so called psychologists who can convince us that they can fix us using drugs and worldly philosophies. It is like putting a band-aid on the lit 'check engine' light on the dashboard of the car!

2 comments:

Joel Brueseke said...

I like the illustration of a car trying to fix another car. It really drives home the point (pun intended). :)

I do believe there are some valid cases for medication, and I'm thankful when it's used properly. Until someone actually experiences a severe panic attack or severe depression, it's very difficult to understand what's really going on in the body and not just the mind. But you are right that medication is very, very often nothing more than a band-aid. I've heard Bob George speak on this, and I only disagree with him slightly as to whether or not there is any valid use of medication.

Anxiety, depression, or whatever, is all too often the result of fear and lack of trust in God. In these cases, which are all too many, medication is taking the place of trust in God. That was definitely my case when I was put on Xanax 20 years ago. Xanax helped calm me when I had panic attacks, but I found it was nothing more than a band-aid, and it never, ever did anything to actually get to the root of my problem... because when I truly came to trust the Lord, I had absolutely no need for it anymore. In my case, I wasn't "cured" of any chemical imbalance that caused anxiety. I simply turned from fear to trust. Not to pat myself on the back, though. The Lord truly did this work in and through me.

It's easy to go with the cures that man promotes. It's very easy to pop a pill or drink the alcohol or hang with the crowd that accepts your weaknesses in such a way as to simply renew the bandages from time to time. But a deep trust in the Lord, who Himself is our victory, and who alone has love that casts out all fear, involves a change of heart and mind.

Bino M. said...

Hi Joel,

I too believe that there are genuine cases for medication such as chemical imbalances in the body. There are many deceases which affects our brain and there by affects our ability to reason. For such requires medication (If available).
But what I mostly see among current generation is that the over dependability on the Psychologists and Psychiatrists. I heard some one saying that during August many people in NY get most panic attacks because thats the time many psychologists takes vacation :) We can see there how much they depend on the doctors for counseling and daily lives such as decision making etc.

'Christian Psychology' is another area where we see some tremendous growth. I am not against Christian Psychologists if they are truly helping to set people free.
Jesus said the truth will set us free. And it is only the Truth which can set us free.

There is this epidemic both in the Christian and Non-Christian worlds, the over dependability on people. If my theology, ideology or philosophy or what ever it is, depends on other people then I am on the road to disappointment. There is no one perfect except the perfect One, Jesus. And as you said in your latest post He assures us that we can cast our worries, anxieties upon Him. Until and unless we come to that point where we understand that it is not me or the professionals around me who sustains me, we will not be able to enter into the 'rest' which Christ promised.